Version 23 (modified by vadz, 7 years ago) (diff)

Event type renaming done but 2.9.5 still won't happen in April.

wxWidgets Roadmap

Understanding wxWidgets development process

First of all, it is useful to know that wxWidgets has stable release branch and a development branch. The stable branch preserves both API and ABI (binary) compatibility between all releases in the same series while the development branches may (and, while, rarely, sometimes do) break API and don't attempt to preserve the ABI at all.

Because of compatibility constraints, the releases in the stable branch generally only add bug fixes and while sometimes new features are also back ported from the trunk (development branch) to them, there are no particular plans for adding new features to stable. So this page describes only the features planned for the next development releases and the next stable release which be done after them.

Please notice that all dates given in the roadmap are very tentative. Due to the nature of open source projects there is no warranty that developers have enough time to make things happen as planned. Being a purely voluntary effort, wxWidgets development doesn't always advance as quickly as we'd like it too -- but your contributions are welcome to speed it up!

Next development release: 2.9.5

The next planned release is 2.9.5 and we hope to make it in May 2013. Right now most of the goals for this release have been either achieved (XRC reorganization, event types renaming (#10661)) or postponed (AUI refactoring; wxMaskedEdit) so just a couple of regressions (#13873 and the related #12054, #14553) remain to be fixed.

We hope for 2.9.5 to be the last release before 3.0 but if any important fixes are needed for the bugs found after 2.9.5 release we could need to make a 2.9.6 release too.

See the list of tickets that need to be addressed before this release to get an idea of the work remaining to do.

Further plans

We hope to release 3.0 soon thereafter. But this depends on the number of bugs found in 2.9.5 and whether we make 2.9.6 or not.

Next stable release: 3.0

Release blocking bugs

  • Regressions in event processing (notably in doc-view).

Main Release Goals

Normally the release won't be done before all of the items below are done:

  • Transparent Unicode support in the main and now only build instead of separate Unicode/ANSI build modes: done.
  • Unification of Debug/Release builds as well (remains to be discussed and implemented but shouldn't be difficult to do): done
  • Cocoa-based wxOSX port running in 64 bit mode implementation mostly done, but needs a lot of testing now (work in progress by Stefan but this is the most time-consuming item so help would be especially welcome)
  • GTK+ 3 port: in progress as part of GSoC 2011 available in 2.9.4.

Secondary Goals

We would also very much like to have the following in time for 3.0 but failing to implement these items shouldn't prevent the release from being done:

  • Support for buttons with bitmaps: done in 2.9.1
  • PersistentControls, i.e. controls which save their state to wxConfig and restore it from it automatically (API is now in place and implemented for a couple of classes, more implementations needed)
  • Type-safe and more flexible event (implemented by #10000 but has to be tested, debugged and documented)
  • Selective-Yield implementation (see #10320): done in 2.9.0
  • Support for window-modal and application-modal dialogs
  • Thread-safe logging: done in 2.9.1

Nice To Have

It would be nice to have a lot of other things for this release but we don't have currently any possibility to work on the following. Please let us know if you can help with any of these:

  • Support for context-sensitive translations in wxLocale
  • Implementation of "frozen" columns and rows in wxGrid
  • Reimplement wxToolTip for wxGTK using new GtkTooltip: done in 2.9.2. Now we should be able to provide support for icons in the tooltips and tooltips associated with a window area

We hope to make 3.0 in January 2013.

Planned for 3.2 and later

  • Drop Win9x platform support
  • Drop MSVC6 support

See also the and pages (which I suppose should be migrated to this wiki).